PBA

FIBA: End of the Jayson Castro era for Gilas Pilipinas?

By Paul Lintag on Jun 21, 2019 08:10 PM

Due to “personal reasons,” Castro has begged off from national team duties as Gilas Pilipinas prepares for the 2019 FIBA World Cup later this year.

For all intents and purposes, Jayson Castro has given up his spot in Gilas Pilipinas.

Due to “personal reasons,” Castro has begged off from national team duties as Gilas Pilipinas prepares for the 2019 FIBA World Cup later this year.

After years of sacrifice for the national team, Castro says he’d like to focus on his family now.

“Nagkausap na kami ni Coach Yeng and then even yung SBP, at tsaka boss MVP and then buong coaching staff, alam na yung situation ko. Sabi ko I want to focus muna sa family ko kasi almost 7 years na non-stop basketball,” Castro said.

“Sobrang dinedicate ko yung sarili ko doon kasi nga yung break ko nasa Gilas. Siguro it's time to give it to the younger guys naman tsaka nakita ko naman talaga na ready na sila,” he added.

Friday in the 2019 PBA Commissioner’s Cup, Castro returned to TNT after missing one game.

The Blur missed his team’s win against Meralco last week due to “personal reasons” as well.

Castro got his long-awaited church wedding that’s why he didn’t suit up for TNT.

With a growing family — Castro has two kids — the Blur says it’s time to focus on that now.

After leading Gilas to a second straight World Cup apppearance, he certainly has nothing to prove for the national team.

“Naintindihan naman nila,” Castro said.

“Yun nga yung pinagu-usapan namin yung situation kung bakit ako nagpa-paalam muna sa Gilas,” he added.

Castr has retired from Gilas once before, only to come back a year later to lead the national team’s charge in FIBA competition.

Asked if he’s retiring from national team duty for a second time, Castro gave a one-word answer.

“Siguro,” he said.

 


Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8

© 2019 ABS-CBN Corporation. All Rights Reserved.