Korean baseball player investigated for sexual assault claim

ABS-CBN Sports on Jul 06, 2016 08:33 AM
Korean baseball player investigated for sexual assault claim
Pittsburgh Pirates' Jung Ho Kang, left. gets his hair pulled by Francisco Cervelli in the dugout as the team celebrates Kang's home run against the San Francisco Giants during the third inning of a baseball game, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)
CHICAGO (AP) — Chicago police said Tuesday that they are investigating an allegation of sexual assault against Pittsburgh Pirates infielder Jung Ho Kang.

In a statement, police said a 23-year-old female reported being assaulted by Kang inside a hotel. Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said the Chicago woman met Kang through a dating app. Kang invited the woman to his hotel room on June 17, after the Pirates played the Cubs.

The woman said she blacked out, then drifted in and out of consciousness as he sexually assaulted her. The woman's name has not been released.

The 29-year-old Kang has not been charged. He was not in the lineup Tuesday night against the St. Louis Cardinals

Pirates team president Frank Coonelly said in a statement the team was taking the allegation "extremely seriously" and was cooperating with Major League Baseball. Coonelly declined further comment.

Kang, who is from South Korea, was batting .250 with 11 homers and 28 RBIs is in the second year of a four-year, $11 million contract. He was third in NL rookie of the year balloting last year.

Latest News