17 things you *probably* didn't know about Jayson Castro
Paul Lintag on Jun 30, 2017 10:39 AM
Jayson Castro just turned 31 today. Crazy right?
The Blur has been doing The Blur things for the longest time that it's easy to forget that the guy has been in the PBA for almost a decade now.
However, the reason why it's maybe easy to look past Castro's godly basketball accomplishments is because he's simply not the type of guy to put himself at the center of the spotlight.
Castro doesn't even demand a starting role for TNT even though he's arguably the team's best player since 2011 (yes, even during Jimmy Alapag's MVP season).
Regardless, that's the beauty of Jayson Castro. The Blur lets his game do all the talking. He's been a winner at every level during his illustrious basketball career and even at age 31, he looks like he's not about to stop winning anytime soon.
And in honor of the reigning two-time best point guard in Asia's birthday, here are 17 things you *probably* didn't know about Jayson Castro.
17 to match his jersey number, just putting this out there for clarification. Okay let's do this.
1. The obvious first: Jayson Castro is a two-time All-Star Team member in the FIBA-Asia Championships, winning the honor in 2013 and 2015.
2. Castro's FIBA career-high is 26 points, set during the 2015 FIBA-Asia quarterfinals against Iran. A big win for the Philippines.
3. The Blur likes to play Iran actually, his tournament-high in 2013 was set in the Finals against the Middle-Eastnern power, dropping 18 points against Hamed Haddadi and co. in a losing effort.
4. Castro retired from international play after the 2016 Olympic Qualifying Tournament. He unretired a year later and won gold in the 2017 SEABA Championships.
5. Castro went to three straight NCAA Finals with Philippine Christian University. A couple of his teammates were Gabby Espinas and Beau Belga.
6. He and the rest of the Dolphins swept Perpetual for the 2004 title before losing to Letran in 2005 and San Beda in 2006.
7. A decade after leaving PCU, Castro finally earned his college diploma in 2016, graduating with a degree in Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, major in Management.
8. Jayson Castro was a former Singapore Slinger, signing with the team back in 2008 with plans of playing in the National Basketball League, the top professional league in Australia.
9. After the the Slingers' NBL stint never materialized, Castro returned to the Philippines and was picked third overall by Talk 'N Text in the 2008 Draft.
10. The Tropang Texters didn't originally own that pick. TNT sent Jay Washington to San Miguel for the rights of the no. 3 selection and the rest, as they say, is history.
11. Castro has six PBA championships to date, four in the All-Filipino and two in the Commissioner's Cup.
12. Castro has never won a solo Finals MVP award (crazy, right?). His two Finals MVP awards he shared with fellow TNT legend Jimmy Alapag.
13. Castro has four Best Player of the Conference Awards, second most in PBA history.
14. However, he has zero PBA Most Valuable Player awards so far.
15. Playoff Castro? All of the Blur's highest scoring totals in the PBA came in the playoffs.
16. His career-high is 44 points set in Game 2 of the 2015 Commissioner's Cup Finals against Rain or Shine. He scored 42 in the 2016 Governors' Cup quarterfinals against Phoenix and 38 points against Ginebra in the 2017 Commissioner's Cup semifinals.
17. Jayson Castro is the best. Go greet him a happy birthday right now.
Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8