Where to next, Kobe?
Paul Lintag on Apr 16, 2018 02:23 PM
In his homecoming press conference Monday in Ortigas, Paras hinted at his next move, giving some clarity over the vagueness of his shocking announcement last month. (Photo courtesy of Bounty Sports)
While Kobe Paras "going pro" doesn't necessarily mean the NBA, all leagues are in play for the next move of the 20-year-old uber athletic combo guard.
In his homecoming press conference Monday in Ortigas, Paras hinted at his next move, giving some clarity over the vagueness of his shocking announcement last month.
"When I say go pro, it doesn't mean NBA. There's a lot of people that kept saying NBA. It is a professional league but there's a lot of pro teams out there," Kobe said.
"The PBA is a professional league, that's all I'm gonna say. When I said I was going pro, there's a lot of pro leagues out there," he added.
After years in the United States chasing his ultimate basketball dream, Kobe made the decision to drop almost everything after his latest chance at the NCAA Division 1 went for naught.
Transferring from Creighton to CSUN, Paras was all set to play next season after sitting out the 2017 season to redshirt.
However, Matadors coach Reggie Theus was fired and that triggered the chain of events that led to Kobe "going pro."
"When I announced to go pro, it was because of my coach, Coach Reggie, he got fired. It was shocking to me that he got fired because I was ready to play. Since that happened I had to make a decision to myself," Paras said.
And while his master plan is yet to be determined, Kobe is happy to be back home to reinforce the Chooks-to-Go backed Gilas Pilipinas squad that will see action in the 2018 Filoil Flying V preseason joust.
The core of that team is the #23for23 pool, which Kobe is a part of.
"I'm glad I'm here now, when I said I was going to go pro, Chooks was there for me. I'm focusing on the Filoil Premier Cup," Paras said.
Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8