FIBA WC Qualifiers: Palace chimes in on Gilas-Boomers brouhaha: "Height of being unsportsmanlike"
ABS-CBN Sports on Jul 03, 2018 01:12 PM
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque says that the Palace understands the feelings of our cagers, however the ends did not justify the means
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque called yesterday's free-for-all at the Philippine Arena between Gilas Pilipinas and the Australian national team as "the height of being unsportsmanlike", as the two teams figured in a brawl that led to 13 ejections.
In this morning's daily briefing at Malacañan Palace, Roque said that the Palace understands the feelings of our cagers, however the ends did not justify the means, and the previous incidents that had led to the violent confrontation should not have been a reason to warrant the melee.
"It should never have happened, that’s why it’s called sports. But at the same time we’re saying that we emphatize that they have to act as a team which will not justify their conduct. I think we would have to say it was a truly regretful incident."
"And in the 52 years that I’ve spent in this existence, that’s the worst I’ve seen at least in the Philippines. We see that in other countries, but really not in the Philippines."
Roque added that the game should have been stopped then and there when Daniel Kickert elbowed Roger Pogoy, in retaliation for the offensive foul on Chris Goulding, however, as seen in the replay, referees had already called the unsportsmanlike foul before all hell broke loose.
The spokesperson also lamented that better officiating could have quelled tensions leading up to the fight.
Regarding the penalties to be handed out by FIBA, the world's governing body for basketball, the Palace hopes that as the true sportsmen the Philippines' players are, they should honor the decision gracefully.