Mayweather wants Pacquiao fight on May 2nd

Milan Ordoñez on Dec 13, 2014 01:19 PM
Mayweather wants Pacquiao fight on May 2nd
Photo credit: Floyd Mayweather Official Facebook fan page

MANILA – Floyd Mayweather Jr. has spoken, this time, seemingly with more finality.

With the past weeks being mainly about mere exchanges of social media tirades, the reigning pound-for-pound boxing king announced his intent to finally step up and make the highly anticipated mega bout against Manny Pacquiao happen.

In an interview with Showtime’s Steven Farhood (transcribed by BadLeftHook.com), “Money May” personally handpicked the date: May 2nd, 2015. While he has not specified where the fight would take place, he did make sure that it would be broadcasted on Showtime.

“He's lost to Marquez, he's lost to Bradley. His PPV numbers are extremely low. He's desperate,” Mayweather said. “I wanted that fight a long time ago. I'm just waiting on them. Of course, we have to make the fight happen on Showtime PPV, because Showtime is number one and will remain number one. I'm here to stay."

Mayweather has been criticized for the past years for allegedly “ducking” Pacquiao through the numerous reasons he has laid out over the course of the negotiations. However, he clarified that he was not avoiding anyone, while once again placing the blame entirely on Top Rank Promotions chief Bob Arum.

"I'm not ducking or dodging any opponent,” Mayweather continued. “Bob Arum is stopping the fight. We have been trying to make this fight happen for years now, but the fans and the people have been fooled. They have been listening to people just on one side.”

The purse split is also one of the many aspects of the fight that had been disputed over and over. Previously, Mayweather had reportedly offered Pacquiao $40 million, which allegedly was turned down by the Filipino superstar. This time around, the undefeated fighter says the said amount will no longer be on the table.

“You guys didn't want to take random testing, that's why it didn't happen,” said Mayweather. “I offered you $40 million, you didn't want to make it happen. You lost twice, now you want the same money. That's not gonna happen.” 

 

Follow this writer on Twitter: @Mr_Ordonez

Latest News