Pacquiao agrees to terms for Mayweather fight says Arum

Milan Ordoñez on Jan 14, 2015 11:03 AM
Pacquiao agrees to terms for Mayweather fight says Arum
Photo credit: Chris Farina/Top Rank

MANILA – Manny Pacquiao has reportedly fulfilled his end of the bargain with regards to making the Mayweather fight happen.

According to Yahoo! Sports’ Kevin Iole, who also spoke to Arum, the eight-division world champion has already agreed on the terms put out to make the highly anticipated mega fight against Floyd Mayweather happen this year.

“Promoter Bob Arum told Yahoo Sports on Tuesday that Manny Pacquiao has agreed to terms for a May 2 bout with Floyd Mayweather, and that the only thing in the way of the long-awaited fight occurring is Mayweather's approval,” Iole wrote.

The report, however, noted that the Mayweather camp has yet to confirm whether Arum’s statement is indeed accurate.

Last week, Lance Pugmire of The Los Angeles Times reported that negotiations have been “making progress,” with the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas as the agreed upon venue to make the fight happen around May or June. However, an unnamed spokesman from the MGM Grand told Yahoo! Sports that no final deal has been made aware to him.

For his part, Arum maintained that they are doing the necessary steps to move things forward, as far as the deal’s progress is concerned.

"I'm not trying to force anybody's hand, I'm just saying, 'Hey, we've agreed to everything, period,'” said the 82-year old Top Rank chief. "The people we have talked to on Mayweather's side have agreed to everything. Now we need Mayweather to step up and say, 'Yeah, I'm on board. I agree.'”

"I'm not going to put a deadline on there,” Arum continued. “I'm just going to hope that everybody does the right thing and we get this concluded. It would be really sad if we went through this stuff again like we did before."

 

Follow this writer on Twitter: @Mr_Ordonez

Latest News