Donaire eyes redemption for Manila comeback fight
Milan Ordoņez on Jan 20, 2015 04:08 PM
Photo credit: Nonito Donaire Official Facebook fan page
MANILA – Nonito Donaire is aiming to make a huge statement in his ring return in home soil for the first time in five years.
After a devastating knockout defeat against Nicholas Walters back in October 2014, “The Filipino Flash” (33-3, with 21 victories by knockout) will be headlining the March 28th card put up by ALA Promotions at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City. The event will be co-headlined by WBO light flyweight champion Donnie “Ahas” Nietes.”
In a statement by ALA Promotions CEO Michael Aldeguer to ABS-CBN News, he noted about Donaire’s determination to climb back up the ladder and redeem himself from his most devastating career loss against Nicholas Walters in October 2014.
“We are very excited that Nonito had already began training with his father in San Francisco,” said Aldeguer. “He is determined to come back stronger after losing his belt to Nicholas Walters.”
It has also been confirmed that Donaire’s comeback fight will be at super bantamweight, a weight class he has dominated for the entire duration of 2012, beating the likes of Wilfredo Vasquez Jr., Toshiaki Nishioka, and four-division titlist Jorge Arce.
“After [the Walters fight] was over, he said, ‘You’re right, I can’t fight these guys at 126,” said his manager Cameron Dunkin in a previous interview. “’They’re just too big.’ So he’ll go back down to 122 and become a champion again. He’s not done and he has a lot of pride.”
Follow this writer on Twitter: @Mr_Ordonez