Arum losing hope on Mayweather-Pacquiao showdown

Milan Ordoñez on Jan 24, 2015 12:00 PM
Arum losing hope on Mayweather-Pacquiao showdown
Photo credit: Mary Ann Owen/Top Rank

MANILA – Top Rank chief Bob Arum has reportedly began to face the bitter music.

As of late, negotiations on the Mayweather-Pacquiao mega bout have gone south after Mayweather’s supposed reluctance to sign the contract. For their part, Pacquiao, Arum, and even cable network giants HBO and Showtime have purportedly established common ground.

Nonetheless, it seems like the 82-year old promoter has conceded to the fact that the deal is likely to fall apart once again. According to a tweet by ESPN’s Dan Rafael, Arum has already “resigned” to the idea that the much-awaited fight is not happening.

“Arum still seemed resigned to it not happening. But said he had direct communication with Haymon and said even they are on same page,” Rafael tweeted.

Ironically, it was Mayweather who dropped the bomb on the entire world by personally issuing a challenge to “Pacman” in December. His non-action on the fight contract, however, frustrated many including Pacquiao, who has extended his original deadline for “Money May” from the last week of January to the first week of February.

Rafael adds that Arum will not be waiting for Mayweather that long, as Top Rank is already finalizing their “Plan B” if the deal does not end up coming through.

“Arum said if no Floyd fight that Manny will fight on May 30 on HBO PPV. Said he would consider going to England for a Khan fight. #boxing.”

 

Follow this writer on Twitter: @Mr_Ordonez

Latest News