Arum: ‘Mayweather-Pacquiao deal to be done in next couple of days’

Milan Ordońez on Jan 31, 2015 10:09 PM
Arum: 'Mega bout deal to be done in next couple of days
Photo credit: Anton Tabuena/Bloody Elbow

MANILA – Top Rank chief Bob Arum set another date for the finalization of the mega bout negotiations, this time with more finality.

On Friday night (Saturday morning, Manila), TMZ Sports reported about what seemed to be a locked down deal, claiming Floyd Mayweather had already agreed to the terms. Boxing journalists, and even Showtime Sports Executive Vice President Stephen Espinoza, nonetheless, refuted it.

"TMZ usually has good sources. This time, not so much," Espinoza said through Twitter.

The 83-year old veteran promoter, however, supported the idea that talks have indeed made progress. In a report by the New York Post, Arum claims “everyone is doing the right thing.”

“We’re looking to complete the paperwork,” Arum said. “Everything is moving in the right direction. Hopefully, the next couple of days it will get done.”

Developments were believe to have been made when both Mayweather and Pacquiao met during the NBA regular season game between the Milwaukee Bucks and the Miami Heat in the latter’s home court. Arum, who was not present at the time, says the said affair was of big help.

“I think it helped a lot because we were all putting papers together, and there was still a question as to whether Floyd really wanted to do the fight or not,” Arum said. “Based on the meeting with Pacquiao in the hotel suite, Manny and [Pacquiao adviser] Michael Koncz were convinced Floyd absolutely wants to do the fight.”

“The issues are being narrowed down to extraordinarily small points. I’m optimistic it will all be put together in the next couple of days.”

 

Follow this writer on Twitter: @Mr_Ordonez

Latest News