Pacquiao, Top Rank, facing $5M lawsuit filed by fans

Milan Ordoñez on May 06, 2015 12:04 PM
Pacquiao, Top Rank, facing $5M lawsuit filed by fans
Photo credit: AP Images

MANILA - The repercussions of Manny Pacquiao’s shoulder injury continue to worsen.

On Tuesday, it was reported that the first and only eight-division world champion may be facing disciplinary action from the Nevada Athletic Commission for allegedly failing to disclose his injury prior to the fight. 

But recently, new accounts have surfaced that a number of disgruntled have filed a class-action lawsuit worth $5M. In a report by ABC News, paying patrons are mainly concerned about not getting their money’s worth in a fight which they paid at least $100 to catch live.

"Defendants prior to and at the time the plaintiffs and the class decided to purchase tickets; purchase pay per view showings or wagered on the event the defendants knew and had full knowledge and information that defendant Pacquiao had been seriously injured and was suffering from a torn rotator cuff. Defendants further know that such injury would severely affect his performance,” the lawsuit reads.

Top Rank, however, was quick to dispute the aforementioned claims, noting that they did notify the United States Doping Agency (USADA) about Manny’s injury.

"The allegations in this lawsuit are demonstrably false," said Top Rank attorney Daniel Petrocelli. "There are documents that explicitly show the medications that Manny was using to treat his shoulder and it was fully disclosed with USADA, which we contracted for this fight."

As of this posting, Manny Pacquiao has declined to comment about the said issue.

“No comment na’ko diyan,” Pacquiao told ABS-CBN News correspondent Dyan Castillejo. “Magfile na sila kung magfile ng kaso.” (I have no comment on that. They can file a case if they wish to).

 

--

Follow this writer on Twitter: @Mr_Ordonez

 

 

Latest News