Pacquiao claims talks for Floyd rematch, Arum denies

Milan Ordoņez on Oct 09, 2015 12:35 PM
Pacquiao claims talks for Floyd rematch, Arum denies
Photo credit: AP Images (File photo)

This week, Manny Pacquiao had already revealed that he is indeed approaching the twilight of his career.

Specifically, the Filipino boxing icon says he will be taking on “one more fight” before the 2016 Senatorial elections, which is set to take place in May. Both Top Rank and Golden Boy are looking to pit him against Amir Khan and Lucas Matthysse, respectively, but nothing has been made official. But apparently, Pacquiao is still looking to score another crack at retired pound-for-pound boxing king Floyd Mayweather Jr.

[RELATED: Pacquiao: ‘One more fight before the election’]

In a report by Agence France Presse, “Pacman” himself made mention about current negotiations with “The Money Team.”

“Pacquiao confirmed he is in negotiations with American Mayweather and Briton Khan but said he had no preference over who to fight,” the report reads.

Despite the untoward reactions from boxing fans after May 2nd, the mere idea of a Mayweather-Pacquiao rematch is one that still creates a lot of buzz. Unfortunately, it was immediately squashed by Pacquiao’s own promoter Bob Arum, through a separate interview with Yahoo! Sports.

"I have no idea what he's talking about. He said it, not me. But I have had no talks with anyone about that. None. Zero. Not one. Mayweather is retired and I take him at his word. 

“But second, you know there is no way that Mayweather is ever going to fight in the Gulf, even if he did decide to fight again, so it's all [expletive]."

As of this posting, Khan remains to be at the top of the shortlist for Pacquiao’s next possible opponents. Per Arum’s own statement, the fight is being set-up around the months of February-April of the coming year.

--

Follow this writer on Twitter: @Mr_Ordonez

Latest News