Nietes win in Bacolod could set up trilogy vs. Fuentes
Santino Honasan on May 19, 2016 05:37 PM
Could "Ahas" Nietes be looking at a third match against Mexico's Moises Fuentes?
Should Donnie “Ahas” Nietes manage to hold on to his WBO Light Flyweight title after May 28th, against Raul Garcia, he could very well be looking at a trilogy against Moises “Moi” Fuentes next.
The longest reigning Filipino boxing champion went on a radio show in Bacolod earlier this week, and revealed that he’s looking take on Fuentes in September in the United States.
“I’m looking at defending my belt against Moises ‘Moi’ Fuentes this September in US,” Nietes said via SunStar Bacolod.
The Murcia product, who’ll be fighting back at home in Negros for the first time since 2011 also said that he’ll be using the prospect of a Fuentes trilogy as added motivation to dominate Garcia on the 28th.
“This time, I’ll make sure that I will win convincingly.”
Nietes already said before that he’d like to eventually move up in weight, preferably after his fight in Bacolod, but if there’s any truth to the Fuentes rumours, then it looks like “Ahas” will have to wait a bit before making the jump.
Nietes and Fuentes have met twice before, with the first encounter ending in a draw in Cebu back in 2013. Roughly a year later, they met this time in Manila, with Nietes coming away with the ninth round knockout.
Since then, both Nietes and Fuentes have gone unbeaten, with each man winning their last four outings.
Nietes is coming off his eighth WBO Light Flyweight title defense against Mexico’s Juan Alejo last October in US, while Fuentes defeated another former Nietes victim in Francisco “Chihuas” Rodriguez Jr. via Split Decision in a title WBO Light Flyweight title eliminator last December.
Before anything else though, Nietes needs to take care of business against Garcia in Bacolod.