Floyd Mayweather Jr. rematch is unfinished business, says Manny Pacquiao
ABS-CBN Sports on Sep 17, 2018 03:57 PM
Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. could run in back in late-2018. (AP Photo)
Over the weekend, social media went into a frenzy as Floyd “Money” Mayweather Jr. announced on his Instagram account that he would be coming out of retirement for a rematch with Manny Pacquiao.
It was easy to shrug the news off, but then Pacquiao responded on his Instagram with a post of his own and fueling the talks of a potential rematch.
As it turns out, the little Instagram back-and-forth could actually turn out to be a legitimate fight announcement.
According to Senior Ring Magazine writer Mike Coppinger, the rematch is already in the advanced stage of negotiations, with the fight being planned for Las Vegas and December 1 or December 8 as target dates.
Breaking: Talks for #MayweatherPacquiao2 are in the advanced stages and it’s expected there will be contracts out this week, according to industry sources. Once finalized, the fight will likely land in Las Vegas and two target dates are Dec. 1 and Dec. 8— Mike Coppinger (@MikeCoppinger) September 17, 2018
In his first interview since the interaction with Mayweather, Pacquiao basically confirmed that the fight is happening.
"Well, he’s announcing his comeback from retirement, so he wants to fight, he challenged me, he wants get my belt."
Mayweather has mostly been retired since late-2015, returning to action last year for a big money super-fight with UFC star Conor McGregor.
Pacquiao on the other hand, has remained active, save for a brief eight-month retirement perioid in 2016. Last July, Pacquiao captured his eleventh-world championship by defeating Lucas Matthysse for the WBA (Regular) Welterweight World Championship in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Pacquiao himself confirmed that he and Mayweather are indeed in negotiation-mode, without giving away too much information.
"Right now we’re in the middle of negotiations, hoping to finalize that." Pacquiao shared with Dyan Castillejo of ABS-CBN News. "Sa ngayon, pag-uusapan pa yung negotiations, we’re in the middle of negotiations, so hindi pa natin masabi kung kailan or kung ano yung exact date."
"I’m always available. I’m always available for him." Pacquiao added.
— DYAN CASTILLEJO (@DYANCASTILLEJO) September 17, 2018
If the fight does push through, it will be a highly-anticipated rematch of their 2015 bout, which saw Mayweather emerge victorious via Unanimous Decision after twelve rounds.
For Pacquiao, he feels that he has some unfinished business with the unbeaten fighter, which is why he's pushing for the rematch to happen.
"Ang importante ay matuloy na para makita, para hindi unfinished business yung kaming dalawa. Para bang nanakawan tayo ng panalo and matagal na panahon ang hinintay natin."
The eight-division boxing world champion is confident that he can come out with the win this time around.
"Right now, alam ko na yung gagawin ko."
As far as his training is concerned, Pacquiao has yet to reveal where he'll be holding camp. For his bout against Matthysse, Pacquiao held camp in his gym in General Santos, with close friend Buboy Fernandez overseeing matters.
"Kung saan man ako mag-training, basta I’ll put myself through strict and disciplined training." the 39-year old boxer-turned-statesman said.