Manny Pacquiao targeting January return to competition
ABS-CBN Sports on Jul 22, 2019 08:00 AM
Manny Pacquiao reacts after defeating Keith Thurman by split decision in a welterweight title fight Saturday, July 20, 2019, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)
Once again, Manny Pacquiao proved that he can still compete at a championship level.
The 40-year old Pacquiao defeated the previously-undefeated Keith Thurman to become the new WBA (Super) Welterweight World Champion and record his 62nd professional win.
But it wasn't an easy.
The 30-year old Thurman was far from outclassed, and in fact landed more punches than Pacquiao did throughout the 12-round contest.
Pacquiao went on to compare Thurman to a number of his previous foes including Antonio Margarito, who was also taller and managed to land punches in volume.
.@MannyPacquiao ranks this fight vs @keithfthurmanjr in his top 6 after mentioning Margarito, Morales, Marquez, and Dela Hoya #PacquiaoThurman @ANCALERTS @DZMMTeleRadyo @ABSCBNNews @abscbnsports pic.twitter.com/eV0L4R25p5— TJ Manotoc (@tjmanotoc) July 21, 2019
As for what's next for the boxer-slash-senator, Pacquiao will be heading straight back to the Philippines in time for senatorial duties. Pacquiao is expected to join session on Monday, July 22nd. just a day after the fight.
In terms of in-ring action, Pacquiao says he's targeting a January return, with the winner of Shawn Porter and Errol Spence Jr. being discussed as the possible next opponent in what would be a title-unification bout.
For now, Pacquiao says he needs to head home to fulfill his duties as a lawmaker.