Manny Pacquiao says Floyd Mayweather Jr. rematch is for the benefit of the fans

ABS-CBN Sports on Jul 29, 2019 12:45 PM
Pacquiao says Floyd rematch is for the benefit of the fans
"The fans are asking over and over [for a rematch] because they don’t believe na natalo ako during the last fight," - Manny Pacquiao (Photo courtesy of AP Images)

After his WBA (Super) Welterweight World Championship-clinching win over Keith Thurman in Las Vegas last July 20th, it didn't take long for Manny Pacquiao to start getting into it with rival Floyd Mayweather Jr. on social media. 

The two welterweight stars crossed paths back in 2015 with Mayweather getting the unanimous decision win, but it left a lot of people with a sour taste in their mouth, believing that the undefeated star played a little too safe. 

Since then, a rematch has been teased over and over again, and it looks like it has gotten to the now-retired Mayweather JR. 

It was 'Money' who fired the first jab with a post that essentially said that Pacquiao was living off his legacy. 

The Filipino boxing icon, while not one for too much trash talk, responded by calling Mayweather out for being at the Thurman bout

Of course, Mayweather Jr. wasn't going to let Pacquiao have the last word and responded by claiming that he was a bigger draw and higher up on the PBC totem pole

Pacquiao responded again, with another invitation for a rematch

The social media back-and-forth, while has slowed down in the recent days, could go on for a bit, as fans continue to clamor for a rematch between the two boxing greats. 

Whether or not it comes to fruition remains to be seen, but for Pacquiao, the ball is in Mayweather's court. 

In an interview with Migs Bustos of ANC Gametime, the eight-division world champion explains why he believes people continue to call for a sequel to Pacquiao vs. Mayweather. 

"Kasi sinasabi niya na ginagamit ko yung pangalan niya para sumikat ako. Iba naman yun, siya nga yung nanonood sa fight ko, so sabi ko para hindi na mag-tanong yung mga fans, makipag-laban siya sa akin ng rematch, kasi ako, nabo-bother din ako sa tanong ng mga fans na kailan kayo mag-rematch ni Mayweather, which is pagkaka-alam ko ay retired na siya, and ang mga fans, hindi sila satisfied sa resulta ng last fight namin with him, so I think the fans need one more, for the benefit of the fans na masagot yun mga tanong nila na paulit-ulit," Pacquiao said. 

Pacquiao believes that fans continue to ask for a rematch because they don't believe that Mayweather Jr. won the first match. 

"I think hindi naman magtatanong yung mga fans ng ganun kung naniniwala sila na talo ako. For example, do you think the fans will ask the questions kung alam nila na talo ako sa fight? Hindi naman siguro ganun."

"The fans are asking over and over [for a rematch] because they don’t believe na natalo ako during the last fight," he continued. 

Of course, the fact still remains that Mayweather Jr. maintains that he is retired and has no desire to come back to the ring. 

"On my part, I have no problem with that because I’m still active in the sport. That question is for him because he’s retired, so he needs to come back and announce that he will be fighting again with me."

Check out the whole interview below: 

Latest News