Valmayor shines as UP pummels FEU for first place

Santino Honasan on Jan 22, 2015 06:28 PM
UAAP 77 Men's Football: Valmayor Shines as UP pummels FEU
Jinggoy Valmayor scored a hat trick to lead UP to a 3-1 win over defending champion FEU.

The University of the Philippines closed out the first round of UAAP 77 Men's Football action on top as they exacted revenge over defending champions Far Eastern University with a 3-1 win Thursday at the FEU Diliman Football Field. 

In a rematch of last year's finals, it was UP striker Jinggoy Valmayor who led the charge, scoring all three goals for the Fighting Maroons. 

Valmayor started off in the 14th minute, giving UP a 1-0 lead by blasting the ball through the FEU goalie's hands and into the back of the net. Janjan Melliza managed to even things up for the Tamaraws however, firing in between two defenders for the 40th minute equalizer. 

In the second half, the Maroons began to pull away as Valmayor took advantage of an FEU error to put in a 65th minute goal. The final blow came in the 88th minute, as Valmayor completed the hat trick via a penalty kick. 

"Masarap yung feeling, pero hindi pa tapos yung season." Valmayor told ABS-CBN Sports. "FEU is one of the best teams in the UAAP, and natalo namin sila, so confidence para sa amin yun, pero hindi pa tapos."

FEU's leading scorer Eric Giganto wasn't too down about the loss however as he said that even though they were playing with only ten men in the field, he felt that the team's spirit was still there. "Andun parin yung spirit, lumaban parin kami, kaso nga lang hindi siya enough para matalo yung UP. Ginawa naman namin yung best namin, pero kahit ganun yung result, happy parin ako sa team."

UP ends the first round on top with five wins, one loss and one draw for 16 points, while FEU drops to fourth place with four wins, one draw and two losses for 13 points. 

In other action, some last minute heroics from substitute Christian Zubiri sealed the win for De La Salle as they defeated University of Santo Tomas, 2-1.

Gelo Diamante opened the scoring for the Green Archers, connecting on a header to put De La Salle up 1-0.

In the second half, Gab Alcantara, who had just checked in, made the most of his minutes by scoring the 48th minute equalizer. Just as it was looking like a draw, De La Salle's Zubiri checked in and moments later scored on a 90th minute header from a Nathan Alquiros assist, sealing the match for the Taft-based booters. 

De La Salle finished the first round unbeaten and in second place with four wins, three draws and 15 points. UST sits at sixth place with two wins, five losses, and six points. 

Latest News