Real Madrid loses appeal over cup disqualification
ABS-CBN Sports on Dec 11, 2015 10:36 AM
Real Madrid's Cherishev, left, walks as Rafa Benitez, right, looks on during a Copa del Rey soccer match between Cadiz and Real Madrid at the Ramon de Carranza stadium in Cadiz, Spain, Wednesday Dec. 2, 2015. (AP Photo/Angel Fernandez)
MADRID (AP) — The Spanish soccer federation on Thursday confirmed Real Madrid's disqualification from the Copa del Rey because of an ineligible player.
A federation committee dismissed Madrid's appeal, and the club immediately said it would take the case to Spain's Administrative Court for Sport.
Real Madrid was eliminated in its opening round for fielding Denis Cheryshev in a first-leg 3-1 win over Cadiz on Dec. 2. Cheryshev was carrying a one-match suspension for yellow cards last season, when he played for Villarreal on loan from Madrid.
Madrid insists that Cheryshev was not properly informed of the suspension.
"Real Madrid has received and analyzed the resolution of the appeals committee, which once again verifies that the player was not notified of his ban, the only way the aforementioned ban can take effect," the club said in a statement. "The club has therefore submitted an appeal to the Administrative Court for Sport."
The Spanish federation had already dismissed Madrid's line of defense, and in Thursday's ruling again disputed the club's claim that Cheryshev was not personally notified. The federation said that all necessary legal proceedings were observed.
The second leg was originally scheduled for next Wednesday at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium, and Madrid continued to sell tickets for the game, saying that "in the event that the match is not played, Real Madrid will refund the full price of the purchased tickets."