Blatter, Platini to appeal 8-year ban

ABS-CBN Sports on Dec 22, 2015 11:16 AM
Blatter, Platini to appeal 8-year ban
FILE - In this June 1, 2011 file photo Swiss FIFA President Joseph Blatter, right, and French UEFA President Michel Platini walk together at the 61st FIFA Congress in Zurich, Switzerland. Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini have been banned for 8 years, the FIFA ethics committee said Monday, Dec. 21, 2015. (AP Photo/Michael Probst, file)

Sepp Blatter says he will appeal against his 8-year ban from football to Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Blatter also insisted that he still views himself as FIFA president despite the ban.

Speaking at a news conference Monday, Blatter said: "I fight for me and I will fight for FIFA. Suspended for eight years for what?"

Blatter and UEFA President Michel Platini received the same ban for conflict of interest and disloyalty to FIFA in a $2 million payment deal in 2011 based on an oral contract.

Blatter: "I'm sorry as president of FIFA I'm this punching ball."

Blatter was already planning to stand aside on Feb. 26 when a new president is due to be elected.

UEFA President Michel Platini says he will appeal his 8-year ban from football at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

In statement, Platini describes the FIFA ethics commission's procedure against him as a "true mockery." He said it had been "orchestrated... by governing bodies that I know well" to tarnish him.

Platini, a FIFA vice president, said his fate had been sealed before a commission hearing on Dec. 18 and that the decision was "just a pathetic manoeuver to hide a true will of taking me out of the football world."

Along with an appeal to CAS, Platini said Monday he will also file a lawsuit in a civil court to seek damages for what he had endured since the procedure started.

The Frenchman said his "behavior has always been faultless and I'm at peace with my own conscience."

Latest News