Barcelona says it has won appeal in Neymar's transfer case

ABS-CBN Sports on Mar 11, 2016 09:30 AM
Barcelona says it has won appeal in Neymar's transfer case
Barcelona's Neymar, right, battles for the ball with Rayo Vallecano's Joaquin Marin “Quini” during a Spanish La Liga soccer match between Barcelona and Rayo Vallecano at the Vallecas stadium in Madrid, Thursday, March 3, 2016. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — Barcelona says a local court has accepted an appeal by club president Josep Maria Bartomeu and predecessor Sandro Rosell in a case involving alleged irregularities around Neymar's transfer in 2013.

The club says the ruling means Barcelona and the presidents are no longer defendants in the case involving the Brazilian striker.

The club said in a statement on Thursday that new charges would have to be brought up in Barcelona for the case against them to continue.

A Brazilian investment group has claimed it was financially damaged because Barcelona and Neymar allegedly withheld the real amount of the player's transfer fee from Brazilian club Santos.

Neymar and his father appeared before a court last month and maintained their innocence.

The case has been transferred from a Madrid court to Barcelona.

Latest News