POC's July 5 special election cancelled

ABS-CBN Sports on Jul 01, 2019 09:00 PM
POC's July 5 special election cancelled
The Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) special election set on July 5 will not push through.

The Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) special election set on July 5 will not push through pending its compliance with the International Olympic Committee’s request for clarifications on resignations of its members and to convene a general assembly.

“We have been advised as of June 29 that in the relation of the election on July, 5 we were instructed by the IOC and the OCA to formalize the vacancies of positions in the Executive Board. So the IOC will only accept written resignation,” said Secretary-General Charlie Ho on Monday during the POC Board’s special meeting at the GSIS Building in Pasay.

The IOC and Olympic Council of Asia, in a letter to the POC dated June 29, said that they have been following the situation of the country’s Olympic body for the past few months and that the recurrent internal and personal disputes ‘have been affecting the POC’s reputation in the country and internationally.’       

In line with this, the IOC and OCA requested the POC to clarify the current situation of the Executive Board and provide a copy of a formal letter of resignation signed by the member concerned.

The international body also asked the POC to convene an extraordinary general assembly to address the current situation and take appropriate decisions to fill in any vacancy. An observer from the IOC and OCA will attend the said general assembly.  

Ricky Vargas stepped down as president of the POC on June 18 and was succeeded by 1st vice president Joey Romsanta.

However, Romasanta and 2nd vice president Jeff Tamayo’s eligibility were questioned with regards to the POC bylaws as chairman Bambol Tolentino called for a special election on July 5.

During a supposedly general assembly last week, that was eventually deemed invalid because of technicalities, several members of the Board ‘expressed’ their intention to vacate their position to give way for the election.

However, they have yet to tender their formal resignation.

“As of today we only have three positions vacant,” said Ho. “The position of president, vacated by Ricky Vargas, and also two members of the Board Clint Aranas and Cynthia Carrion.”

Ho added that those who also expressed their intention to step down from their positions have until July 5 to tender their formal resignation including Tolentino.    

“We have yet to receive their resignation letters not verbal, not through social media because that’s what the IOC requires, a written resignation,” said Ho.

The POC will have to comply with the IOC and OCA’s requests first before holding an election.  

“We don't have a time frame because we have to get an approval from the IOC,” said Ho. “We want to hold elections as soon as we can, as long as it is in coordination with our by-laws.”

Latest News