Pinoy golfers drive for Rio Olympics slot qualifying points, top purse in Resorts World Manila Masters

Mark Escarlote on Aug 26, 2015 04:27 PM
Pinoy golfers begin drive for Rio Olympics spot
(From left) Asian Tour Chief Executive Officer Mike Kerr, Stephen Reilly, Resorts World Manila Chief Operating Officer, and Manila Southwoods chairman Bob Sobrepena.

Top Filipino golfers tee off their drive for a slot in the Rio Olympics when the country’s richest golf tournament hits the green on November 19-22 at the Manila Southwoods Golf and Country Club.

Angelo Que, Antonio Lascuna, Juvic Pagunsan and Miguel Tabuena will be pitted against the best of the best in Asia in the third staging of the Resorts World Manila Masters where a whopping $1 million prize pot is at stake, but more importantly valuable Official World Golf Ranking Points, which is needed to qualify in the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil.

“We can expect these Filipino golfers not on battling it out to win at home but also for the ranking points to be the one to represent their country in the Rio Olympics,” Asian Tour Chief Executive Officer Mike Kerr said on Wednesday during the event’s press launch at the Marriott Hotel Grand Ballroom in Pasay City.

“This tournament has become one of the premier tournament in the Asian Tour schedule,” he added. “They get to play with some of the best players in Asia, for a chance to win the $ 180,000 champion’s purse and of course the ranking points. I expect to see another fantastic tournament.”

Que is the country’s no. 1 ranked player followed by Lascuna,  Pagunsan and Tabuena.

China’s Liang Wen-chong claimed a thrilling play-off victory over Thailand’s Prom Meesawat in the inaugural tournament in 2013 while Singaporean veteran Mardam Mamat ruled last year’s edition with a stylish six-shot triumph where he kept a steady pace on his way of conquering the Jack Nickalaus-designed Masters course of the Manila Southwoods.

Kerr was joined in the press launch by Stephen Reilly, Resorts World Manila Chief Operating Officer, and Manila Southwoods chairman Bob Sobrepena.

“We are expecting a good field of players playing in this tournament,” said Reilly.

Sobrepena, on his part, said that Southwoods is leaving no stone unturned to ensure a competitive and Asian Tour standard hosting.

“We hope that Manila Southwoods will live up to the stature of hosting the Asian Tour,” he said. “The preparation for this event started the day after the last tournament so that is one whole year of preparation for us.”

“We can assure you that the fairways are firm and the greens are fast,” he added.

 

---

Follow this writer on Twitter, @fromtheriles

Latest News