Stoffel Vandoorne to continue as a McLaren F1 driver in 2018
ABS-CBN Sports on Aug 24, 2017 08:02 AM
McLaren driver Stoffel Vandoorne of Belgium stands in the team box during the third free practice session for the Hungarian Formula One Grand Prix, at the Hungaroring racetrack in Mogyorod, northeast of Budapest, Saturday, July 29, 2017. The Hungarian Grand Prix will be held on Sunday, July 30. (AP Photo/Darko Bandic)
WOKING, England (AP) — Stoffel Vandoorne will continue to drive for the McLaren Formula One team next season.
McLaren said in a statement Wednesday that the 25-year-old Belgian driver has been retained for 2018, having joined this season as a replacement for Jenson Button.
Vandoorne, the GP2 champion in 2015, has been part of McLaren's development program since 2013.
McLaren's executive director Zak Brown says "Stoffel's robust talent and fierce ambition make us sure that he'll achieve great successes with us in the future."
It remains uncertain whether Vandoorne will drive alongside two-time F1 champion Fernando Alonso at McLaren in 2018.
McLaren has been blighted by problems with engine supplier Honda since they renewed their previously highly successful partnership in 2015. The Spanish veteran wants a more competitive car before committing to another season.