Numbers to know from Klay Thompson's record night
NBA.com Global on Oct 31, 2018 07:27 AM
Golden State Warriors guard Klay Thompson celebrates after scoring a three pointer against the Chicago Bulls during the second half of an NBA basketball game, Monday, Oct. 29, 2018, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Kamil Krzaczynski)
NBA.com staff report
If you somehow missed it Monday (Tuesday, PHL time), Klay Thompson of the Golden State Warriors was in a historic zone against the Chicago Bulls. He made an NBA-record 14 three-pointers and had 52 points in just over 26 minutes of work in a 149-124 Warriors win.
Thompson's performance was epic -- from his teammates egging him on to break the single-game record (held by Warriors teammate Stephen Curry) to Thompson gutting out the game despite suffering a cut above his right eye in the third quarter.
Still, there are some extra statistical tidbits to consume from this game that must not be left unsaid. We're not about to do that, so dig into these numbers and factoids from a historic game in Chicago last night ...
* This was Thompson's third career game with 50 or more points. He previously hit that mark on Jan. 23, 2015 (52 points vs. Kings) and on Dec. 5, 2016 (60 points vs. Pacers).
* Thompson scored 36 first-half points and tied an NBA record for 3-pointers in a half with 10.
* Only four players have scored 50 or more points in less that 30 minutes in the shot-clock era (since 1954-55):
Player (Team) | Minutes played | Points | Game
Klay Thompson (Warriors) | 26 min | 52 pts | Warriors 149, Bulls 124 (Oct. 29, 2018)
Damian Lillard (Blazers) | 29 min | 50 pts | Blazers 118, Kings 100 (Feb. 9, 2018)
CJ McCollum (Blazers) | 29 min | 50 pts | Blazers 124, Bulls 108 (Jan. 31, 2018)
Klay Thompson (Warriors) | 29 min | 60 pts | Warriors 142, Pacers 106 (Dec. 5, 2016)
* In case you forgot, Stephen Curry dropped 51 points on the Wizards on Oct. 24 (Oct. 25, PHL time). Thompson's 52-point game means the "Splash Brothers" became the first teammates in NBA history to each log 50 or more points in their team's first eight games.
Most 3-pointers made, single game (player)
Player (Made) | Date | Opponent
Klay Thompson (14) | Oct. 29, 2018 | Bulls
Stephen Curry (13) | Nov. 7, 2016 | Pelicans
Kobe Bryant (12) | Jan. 7, 2003 | Sonics
Donyell Marshall (12) | March 13, 2005 | Sixers
Stephen Curry (12) | Feb. 27, 2016 | Thunder
Most 3-pointers made, one half (player)
Player (Made) | Half | Date | Opponent
Klay Thompson (10) | First half | Oct. 29, 2018 | Bulls
Chandler Parsons (10) | Second half | Jan. 24, 2014 | Grizzlies
Klay Thompson (9) | Second half | Jan. 23, 2015 | Kings
Deron Williams (9) | First half | March 8, 2013 | Wizards
The game itself ...
* The Warriors' 149 points were their most since their 149-106 win against the Los Angeles Lakers on Nov. 23, 2016.
* Golden State set a franchise record with 24 made 3-pointers in the game, which was the second-highest total in NBA history.
* The win against Chicago moved Golden State to 51-12 against Eastern Conference teams in the Steve Kerr era.
Most 3-pointers made, single game (team)
Team (Made) | Date | Opponent
Cavaliers (25) | March 3, 2017 | Hawks
Warriors (24) | Oct. 29, 2018 | Bulls
Rockets (24) | Dec. 16, 2016 | Pelicans
Nuggets (24) | Feb. 14, 2017 | Warriors
Nuggets (24) | Feb. 15, 2018 | Bucks
Nets (24) | April 7, 2018 | Bulls
Most points scored, first half (game)
Team | Points | Year
Suns | 107 | 1990
Warriors | 92 | 2018
Nuggets | 90 | 1990
Rockets | 90 | 2017