13 facts to know from 2019-20 NBA Roster Survey
NBA.com Global on Nov 02, 2019 07:34 AM
Golden State Warriors forward Glenn Robinson III (22) shoots between New Orleans Pelicans guard Nickeil Alexander-Walker, left, and center Jaxson Hayes in the first half of an NBA basketball game in New Orleans, Monday, Oct. 28, 2019. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)
By Jeff Case, NBA.com
The new season is underway and with it comes the NBA's annual (and very detailed) analysis on each team in the league. In the annual NBA Roster Survey, the league breaks down rosters by height, weight, age, league experience and more for every player on opening-night rosters.
Note: The survey compiles data for rosters as of opening night, not rosters as of today. Players on two-way contracts are not included in the survey.
* * *
1. The average NBA player is 6-foot-6.54, 219.33 pounds, 26.18 years old and 4.59 season of NBA experience.
2. Golden State’s Glenn Robinson III most closely resembles the average NBA player based on height, weight age and experience. Robinson: 6-6, 222 pounds, turns 26 in January, has played five NBA seasons (through 2018-19).
3. Atlanta’s Vince Carter, playing his record 22nd NBA season, is the league’s oldest player at 42. The next oldest are Udonis Haslem (Miami) and Pau Gasol (Portland) at 39 years old.
4. Detroit’s Sekou Doumbouya is the youngest player at 18; he turns 19 on Dec. 23. The next youngest player is Talen Horton-Tucker (Los Angeles Lakers), who turns 19 on Nov. 25.
5. The 14 youngest players on NBA opening-night rosters were all born in 2000, the same year that Vince Carter won the dunk contest and finished his second NBA season.
6. Nos. 0 and 5 are the most popular jersey numbers, worn by 20 players each. The next most popular are No. 1, No. 8 and No. 11, which have 19 players each. No. 3 was the most popular jersey last season with 20 players. (No. 3 has 17 players this season.)
7. Kentucky is the school with the most players on opening-night rosters (28) for the eighth straight year. Duke (23 players) and North Carolina (14) are next on the list.
8. Rosters include 108 international players from 38 countries and territories.
9. A record 42% of players have NBA G League experience.
10. Team age ranges from an average of 24.49 years for Phoenix to 30.24 years for Houston.
11. Team experience ranges from an average of 2.73 years for Boston to 8.93 years for Houston.
12. Dallas has the two tallest players: 7-4 Boban Marjanovi? and 7-3 Kristaps Porzingis. In fact, five of the six tallest players are international players.
13. Only 10 players are older than LeBron James, who turns 35 on Dec. 30. The players who are older than him? J.J. Barea, Thabo Sefolosha, Andre Iguodala, Tyson Chandler, Nene, Kyle Korver, Pau Gasol, Udonis Haslem and Vince Carter.
• Cleveland Cavaliers, 6-5.57
• Boston Celtics, 6-5.60
• LA Clippers, 6-5.67
• Washington Wizards, 6-5.67
• Detroit Pistons, 6-5.87
• Brooklyn Nets, 6-7.33
• Atlanta Hawks, 6-7.36
• Sacramento Kings, 6-7.40
• Portland Trail Blazers, 6-7.43
• Chicago Bulls, 6-7.47
• Phoenix Suns, 24.49
• Chicago Bulls, 24.83
• Golden State Warriors, 24.87
• Minnesota Timberwolves, 24.91
• New York Knicks, 24.98
• Utah Jazz, 27.08
• Dallas Mavericks, 27.40
• Milwaukee Bucks, 28.73
• Los Angeles Lakers, 29.07
• Houston Rockets, 30.24
Teams with least NBA experience (average seasons)
• Boston Celtics, 2.73 seasons
• Phoenix Suns, 2.80 seasons
• Chicago Bulls, 3.07 seasons
• Minnesota Timberwolves, 3.40 seasons
• Indiana Pacers, 3.53 seasons
Teams with most NBA experience (average seasons)
• Portland Trail Blazers, 5.57 seasons
• San Antonio Spurs, 5.67 seasons
• Milwaukee Bucks, 7.07 seasons
• Los Angeles Lakers, 8.07 seasons
• Houston Rockets, 8.93 seasons