FIBA WORLD CUP: No Blatche and Terrence for Gilas. Why?
Paul Lintag on Nov 06, 2018 06:21 PM
Andray Blatche and Terrence Romeo, suspended by FIBA for the Gilas-Boomers brawl back in July, are eligible to return for the Iran game.
Gilas Pilipinas has a brand-new, 20-man pool for the window no. 5 of the 2019 FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers.
Familiar names dominate the list although there's one name that has been curiously left out.
Actually there's two.
Andray Blatche and Terrence Romeo are out of the Gilas Pilipinas pool for the set of home games against Kazakhstan and Iran.
The two, who were suspended by FIBA for the Gilas-Boomers brawl back in July, would have been eligible to return for the Iran game. Jayson Castro and Troy Rosario, also serving similar suspensions, are included in the 20-man lineup.
Head coach Yeng Guiao says that the play of Christian Standhardinger was one of the key factors in the decision to keep Blatche on ice for now.
"There's been a lot of considerations, we appreciate what he's [Blatche] for us previously. It was really a hard decision on our part," Guiao said on not including Blatche in the new pool.
"We took consideration the chemsitry that has been built up from the Asian Games with Christian and Stanley [Pringle]. Since Andray is going to be available only on the Iran game, there's some limitations to how we can utilize him. [Also], Christian has produced numbers that cannot be argued against," he added.
Standhardinger, listed as a naturalized player in FIBA competition, has been a beast for the national team as of late.
The Fil-German forward dominated in the Asian Games and he was the lone bright spot for Gilas in a road loss to Iran back in September.
He also leads all locals in the 2018 PBA Governors' Cup in scoring and rebounding.
Despite not including Blatche in the pool for now, coach Yeng says that the former Brooklyn Net is still a part of the national team and it can be expected that Andray will be back for the final window of the Asian Qualifiers.
"Of course he's still going to be considered lalo na sa next window [since] wala na siyang suspension," Guiao said.
As for Romeo, coach Yeng has pretty much the same reasoning in not including Terrence in his 20-man pool.
"There's just too much talent in te guard position. We felt that Terrence is going to be considered in the next window," Guiao said.
Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8