PBA Finals: Barroca claims 'no sanctions' yet over Banchero hit
Philip Matel on Dec 12, 2018 10:55 PM
Mark Barroca was caught by television cameras hitting Chris Banchero in the crown jewels during a dead-ball situation below six minutes to go in the fourth quarter.
Magnolia Hotshots guard Mark Barroca says he has not been sanctioned yet over his hit on Chris Banchero's groin area in the late stages of the PBA Governors' Cup Finals Game 5 at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.
Barroca was caught by television cameras hitting Banchero in the crown jewels during a dead-ball situation below six minutes to go in the fourth quarter.
The Filipino-Italian floor general writhed in pain for some time before being helped to the bench.
The two had been earlier called for a double technical for extra motion during similar dead ball situations.
"No sanctions. No fine," Barroca bluntly said after a brief meeting with PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial.
The former PBA Finals MVP also shared that he and Banchero are friends off the court but the intensity of the game led to making people see things otherwise.
"Wala naman siguro nangyari na yun e. Di pagkakaintindihan na nangyari yun, di naman sa inano ko yung insidente na yun pero game yun e. Di maiiwasan din. Siguro talo kami ngayon bounce back nalang."
Even though they butted heads during the game, the two exchanged pleasantries after the final buzzer, perhaps an indication that there were no hard feelings.
"Kinongrats ko pa nga siya eh. Nice game. Ganun talaga sa loob magaaway pero sa labas magkakaibigan kami."
See Barroca's statement here:
Follow this writer on Twitter, @philipptionary.