PBA: Marcial to look at previous decisions in Parks' case
Philip Matel on Jan 08, 2019 04:02 PM
"We wait and see the next coming days kung ano ang decision ni commissioner. Pero Blackwater, with open arms, we would like him to play lalo ngayong kulang kami sa height."PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial says that the league will use decisions in the past to shed some light on the situation of Bobby Ray Parks.
Parks, the son of Ray Parks Sr., a former PBA standout, is still under contract with San Miguel Alab Pilipinas, which just began its campaign in the ninth season of the Asean Basketball League (ABL).
The 6’4” guard is also a two-time reigning Local MVP of the multi-country league, and will remain with the team until the end of the season.
It is similar to the situation of last seasons number one overall pick Christian Standhardinger, who honored his commitment with the Hong Kong Eastern Long Lions until their elimination in the ABL semifinals against Alab.
"Titignan namin kung may precedent yun, tapos apply natin kay Parks. Pinapa-check ko sa legal natin, kay Atty. Melvin Mendoza, kung napagusapan sa Board yun," Marcial said.
"Ang rights niya na kay Blackwater, nagbigay ng tender offer. Kailangan anuhin yun ni Parks, paguusapan na lang kung paano yung laro niya sa ABL."
Though Blackwater Gov. Silliman Sy would have wanted the second overall pick in this year's PBA Rookie Draft to suit up in the Philippine Cup, he is bracing for the worst-case scenario, waiting for the guard to see action later during the Commissioner's Cup.
However, if San Miguel decides to release Parks early, the team will just have to let Marcial's office to decide on the matter.
"I did talk with Ray and he will also respect the commissioner's decision. Lahat naman doon. Ang statement lang niya very clearly is, "Boss, when I applied for the rookie draft, sa page 2 nakalagay doon yung 'Do you have any existing commitment?' 'Yes, I have an existing contract with Alab in the ABL league to end sometime in May.'" Malinaw din siya, nakasaad naman yun to be fair with the boy," Sy said.
"We wait and see the next coming days kung ano ang decision ni commissioner. Pero Blackwater, with open arms, we would like him to play lalo ngayong kulang kami sa height."
Follow this writer on Twitter, @philipptionary.