PBA COVID-19 protocols in line with FIBA says Commissioner Marcial

Paul Kennedy Lintag on Jun 23, 2020 03:26 PM
PBA protocols in line with FIBA says Commissioner Marcial
"Meron pa nga kaming dagdag dun. Syempre kung ano sinabi ng SBP, FIBA, susundin po natin yun. Pero meron pa po tayong dagdag dun, additional protocols." — PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial.

A few weeks ago, FIBA released its own set of guidelines in order to combat the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

The "Return to Basketball" guidelines are directed to every country's basketball federations in order to help aide existing government-imposed health protocols.

[Related: FIBA releases guidelines for "Return to Basketball"]

In the case of the PBA, the league has been made aware of the FIBA guidelines through the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas.

And as the PBA plans for a restart later this year, the league has adopted and modified the guidelines to suit their own situation.

"Tinitignan po namin yun, pinag-aaralan din namin. Opo, kung ano ang guidelines ng FIBA, adopt din namin," PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial said during a recent PSA forum.

"Meron pa nga kaming dagdag dun. Syempre kung ano sinabi ng SBP, FIBA, susundin po natin yun. Pero meron pa po tayong dagdag dun, additional protocols," he added.

Following the first face-to-face Board meeting earlier this month, the PBA started dialogue with the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases for a possible clearance regarding player workouts.

To start, the PBA will implement a "no test, no practice" policy to all 12 PBA teams should they be allowed to return to the court.

[Related: "No test, no practice" for PBA teams]

But to make a full return to 5-on-5 basketball, the PBA says it will be a collective effort from the league, FIBA, the goverment, and even the venue to be used for the games as they implement suitable guidelines to for the planned restart.

"There are similarities with the guidelines we submitted to the IATF, but right now, yung sinend samin was more of a guideline sa restart of individual workouts. We're in talks also with Araneta [Coliseum] regarding pag may games na tayo in the future, for their protocols also," Deputy Commissioner Eric Castro said.

"It's a collaboration of everybody, syempre yung safety ang priority natin," he added.

 

Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8

Latest News