Foreign leagues' recruitment not a threat to PBA says Vargas

Mark Escarlote on Jun 30, 2020 03:02 PM
Foreign leagues' recruitment not a threat to PBA says Vargas
(Photo: Arvin Lim)

PBA chairman Ricky Vargas sees no problem with Filipino players choosing to play abroad following the decision of top prospect Thirdy Ravena to take his talents in the Japan B-League.

In fact, he doesn’t see it as a competition for the Asia’s first professional basketball league in terms of landing potential talents or draftees.

According to current PBA rules, eligible players for the draft have at least a two-year window to join the PBA.

“Hindi naman it’s just a delay,” said Vargas during the online session of the Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum on Tuesday. “Our rules state that two years from eligibility. They have two years to join the PBA.”

Ravena, who led Ateneo de Manila University to three UAAP titles, skipped last year’s PBA draft. He landed a lucrative deal to play for the San-en NeoPhoenix last week.

Other Filipino players, some already in the PBA, are reportedly approached by agents to play in leagues abroad.   

Vargas, also the TNT KaTropa governor, said that playing in the PBA remains as the best option for Pinoy basketball players.

“Joining the other leagues, it’s not 10 months of playing eh. It’s just a conference,” said Vargas in the Forum presented by San Miguel Corporation, Go For Gold PH, Amelie Hotel Manila, Braska Restaurant, and the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) and powered by Smart.. “So they will have to rethink that. Whether they join that conference or to join the PBA which is more secured in terms of what they’re doing and closer to home.”

“Mas may security ka sa PBA,” he added.

 

---

Follow this writer on Twitter, @fromtheriles

 

Latest News