14 things you didnít know about Arellano's Zach Nicholls
ABS-CBN Sports on Aug 19, 2015 01:54 PM
(Photos by Vyn Radovan)
Girls can’t help but stop while boys cower over the corner from intimidation once Arellano University’s Fil-Canadian player Zach Nicholls enters the room. Blessed with good looks and a height of 6’2”, we won’t be surprised if this Vancouver-hailing shooting guard takes a detour to showbiz. As of now, though, his eyes are still set on a basketball career. “My goal is to have a chance to redeem myself, get in the finals, and, hopefully, win the whole thing. That’s why I need to be focused,” he told us before the season started.
A man of few words, he tells us more of what a lot of people don’t know about him!
1. He’s been playing ball since he was 12, picking it up from his shooting in gym class.
2. He was discovered by Coach Koy Banal, who then recruited him to join the Arellano squad.
3. His favorite motto from his coach: "Teamwork makes the dream work!"
4. What he likes about playing for the NCAA? “The rivalry!”
5. Playing for three seasons now, last year proved to be his “most memorable.” “It was the first time we made it to the finals!” he exclaims.
6. His biggest sports peg is Klay Thompson of the Golden State Warriors. “I like how I play similar to him, in terms of his catching and shooting!”
7. But that one player he wants to play against? “Steph Curry! I wanna see if I can defend him!”
8. He’s pretty intense when it comes to keeping his focus. He does extra shooting, weightlifting, and plyometrics three times a week.
9. He eats at least three hours before a game and does practice shooting before leaving for a game. He listens to music, and likes “being alone and quiet.” Again, focus!
10. He loves rap. Eminem is a constant in his pre-game playlist!
11. He unwinds by watching movies, playing video games, and spending time with his loved ones like his family and girlfriend.
12. He also unwinds by snuggling… with his PS4 and play all day long!
13. His mission right now: Win a championship in the NCAA!
14. His next mission: To get in the PBA!
–Interview by Danielle Oris for Chalk Magazine