10 reasons why LeBron is our biggest sports fashion icon
Barry Viloria on Aug 26, 2015 02:41 AM
LeBron = Next Biggest Fashion Icon. No contest. (Photo taken from LeBron James' Instagram: @KingJames)
More than a week ago, Gilas Pilipinas’ Gabe Norwood made his debut as a fashion guru by playing judge in an episode of Project Runway Philippines. On the show, he put his sporstwear aesthetic to use over the contestants who had put their own twist to some NBA jerseys, shirts, shoes, and accessories.
But seeing an athlete try his hand in fashion is nothing new. Stop thinking about (many of) our collegiate athletes coming off the dugout in their hip-hop shirts and backwards cap. You know, the usual stuff that clues you in to cry, “Mukha nga syang basketball player!” (When they grow up, they would know better about style!) For now, let’s recognize the ballers who actually look like they’re wandering through Savile Row whenever they’re off the hard court. Say, Russell Westbook, Melo Anthony, Dwayne Wade, Amare’ Stoudemire, and, of course, LeBron James.
We don’t know about you but we’re still reeling from King James and his scrimmage at the MOA Arena last week. Obviously, it’s not just basketball that this NBA superstar is good at. He’s also a genius in mixing and matching clothes—GQ even chronicled his “style evolution” online that showed LeBron switching from loose everything to more daring pieces that show his eye for detail. Case in point: Tailored suits, sleek sneakers, colorful socks, fit jackets!
Maybe, we can credit stylist Rachel Johnson for editing his wardrobe? We really don't know. Nor care. But we recently caught some of his most fashionable moments on Instagram—see why we think he is the next person to look up to in men’s style among us sports fans!
10. Because he puts a new meaning to 'street wear' that will shame any style blogger's OOTD.
9. Because he loves the (trendy) color that is gray, and still wants to inject some character by adding some color. See those hoodie string and shoes? That's Han blue, everyone. #Rebel
8. Because he embodies the Swiss craftsmanship just right for the luxury watch brand he endorses.
7. Because he can rock a Magic Mike-contender of a performance next to his former Heat teammates. Just. Like. That. Also, those sneakers!
6. Because he can pull off Pharrell's print-vs-print-color-vs-color principle effortlessly.
5. Because he can just walk in like a sleek New Yorker and pretend to be Denzel Washington, and no one would notice the difference.
4. Because he can make hip-hop trendy again and no one will counter. No one.
3. Because he says he's headed to a game wearing that, and we will easily believe him.
2. Because he looks slim in that tailored tux, and we take a double take if he's really an athlete more than a celebrity.
1. Because he can saunter into a hot party without looking so ostentatious in his attire. The only fashion statement that he goes to brag? His hot wife.