Ruling in Maria Sharapova appeal postponed to September
ABS-CBN Sports on Jul 11, 2016 04:52 PM
FILE - In this Tuesday, Jan. 26, 2016 file photo, Maria Sharapova of Russia loses a point to Serena Williams of the United States during their quarterfinal match at the Australian Open tennis championships in Melbourne, Australia. Maria Sharapova has appealed her two-year doping ban, Tuesday June 14, 2016, to the highest court in sports, seeking a ruling ahead of the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro (AP Photo/Rick Rycroft, File)LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — A ruling on Maria Sharapova's appeal against her two-year doping ban has been postponed until September, ruling her definitively out of the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
The Court of Arbitration for Sport says Sharapova and the International Tennis Federation agreed to defer the decision, which had been due to be issued by next Monday.
CAS says both parties wanted more time to prepare their case and also cited "scheduling conflicts."
CAS says a verdict is now expected by Sept. 19.
Sharapova filed an appeal last month, seeking to overturn or reduce the suspension imposed by the ITF. She tested positive for meldonium at the Australian Open in January.
The parties agreed to an "expedited procedure" allowing CAS to issue its ruling this month. Had the suspension been annulled, that would have made Sharapova eligible for the Olympics in August.