Adamson hoping for quick response on appeal on Serrano ineligibility
ABS-CBN Sports on Feb 05, 2017 07:30 PM
CHANCE. Adamson has forwarded an appeal regarding the league decision on Encho Serrano.
Adamson High School’s season may not be over just yet.
The Baby Falcons have already wrapped up their elimination round in the UAAP 79 Juniors Basketball Tournament last Saturday, but head coach Goldwin Monteverde said they are still awaiting word on an appeal they forwarded to the league board.
“Yes, we filed an appeal regarding the situation with Serrano,” he said on Sunday.
The situation pertains to the UAAP Board ruling that deemed Encho Serrano, the erstwhile frontrunner for MVP, ineligible to play in Season 79.
The San Marcelino-based school submitted the letter last Thursday and is expecting an answer, as per Monteverde, “Hopefully, as soon as possible.”
The development was first reported by Reuben Terrado of spin.ph.
The league announced through a memo last Wednesday that the 17-year-old “failed to submit the required Secondary Student’s Permanent Record that would show/indicate his complete high school enrollment, credentials, and records.”
Consequently, the action forced the forfeiture of Adamson’s first 12 games. From 11-1, their record became 0-12 in one fell swoop.
As such, from leading the league and securing the top-seed in the playoffs, the Baby Falcons were sent to the cellar of the standings and out of the Final Four.
Since then, however, Monteverde’s wards have rang off back-to-back wins – the most recent being a thrilling comeback against defending champion Nazareth School of National University.
Not taking into account the league decision, Adamson would have ended eliminations at 13-1.
Follow this writer on Twitter, @riegogogo.