DLSU takes down UST, jumps to top of women's standings

Santino Honasan on Feb 25, 2017 07:55 PM
DLSU takes down UST, jumps to top of women's standings
De La Salle's Nicole Andaya, center, celebrates with her teammates after scoring a goal against UST.
Nicole Andaya and Sara Castañeda and Kyrhen Dimaandal all netted braces to lift De La Salle University over University of Santo Tomas, 5-2, in UAAP women's football action, Saturday evening at the Rizal Memorial Stadium. 
The first 45 minutes of play looked pretty much like a beatdown in favor of the Lady Archers, as sophomore sensation Castañeda found the back of the net just 13 minutes into the match. 
Dimaandal and Andaya would make matters worse for UST, as they added to the Lady Archers' advantage after scoring in the 30th and 34th minutes respectively. 
Charisa Lemoran sparked some life into the otherwise silent UST crowd when she opened the second half of action by pulling one back and cutting the DLSU lead to just two. 
The Taft-based squad responded swiftly by scoring two more goals of their own, with Andaya and Castañeda scoring again, this time in the 52nd and 54th minutes to push the lead up to four goals. 
With one last attempt at a comeback, Lemoran recorded a brace of her own to bring UST back within three goals at the 79th minute, but Dimaandal closed the door with her second goal of the match in injury time. 
"Well the girls are getting into the groove," DLSU coach Hans Smit said post match, "they could still have done better, but that's a good step from the last game."
"It's good that they performed and followed my instructions, I told them to get early goals in the second half, to break [UST's] backs," Smit added. 
With the high-scoring win, DLSU jumps over Ateneo for the early lead in the women's tournament. While both schools have two wins and six points, DLSU is a +5 in goal difference, as compared to Ateneo's +2. 
In the earlier match of the afternoon, defending champions University of the Philippines and former three-peat champions Far Eastern University battled to a scoreless draw after 90 minutes of action. 
Both UP and FEU had clean chances to score in the latter parts of the match, but neither could pull out a conversion. 
With the draw, both UP and FEU remain winless, but they each tally their first point of the season. 

Latest News