DLSU, FEU share points after 1-1 draw

Santino Honasan on Mar 25, 2017 08:52 PM
DLSU, FEU share points after 1-1 draw
DLSU and FEU figured in a 1-1 draw after 90 minutes of action.

A full 90 minutes of regulation plus injury time wasn't enough to decide a winner as De La Salle University came back to hold Far Eastern University to a 1-1 draw in UAAP men's football action, Saturday afternoon at the Rizal Memorial Stadium. 

Much like in the earlier women's matchup between the two schools, it was FEU who struck first, with Alex Rayos giving the Tams a 1-0 advantage in the 34th minute. 

FEU keeper RJ Joyel showcased excellent goal defense for the remainder of the first half, saving three on-target attempts from the La Sallians. 

The Archers would strike gold in the second half, when a Noel Brago free kick resulted in an on-point header from rookie Raphael Siggaoat in the 52nd minute to even things up.

With a chance at maximum three points hanging in the balance, both DLSU and FEU turned the intensity on in the final minutes, looking to break the deadlock. 

Neither team would come up with a conversion, and the 1-1 draw stood after the final whistle. 

"I'm proud of my boys, at least they showed more heart," DLSU coach Hans Smit said after the match. "They're playing better than in the first round. One point is better than zero points."

With the playoff race heating up, Smit knows his players will need to step up even more than they already have since the start of the second round. 

"No matter what happens, they'll have to play better in their next games, and they can because they know they can."

"I'm happy about my boys playing. They played football the way it's supposed to be played." Smit added. 

DLSU improves to three wins, three draws, and four losses for 12 points in the season, still very much in the running for a playoff berth. 

FEU moves to five wins, four draws, and one loss for 19 points in the season. Currently, they sit at solo-third place. 

Latest News