After forfeiture, NU coach says nothing to do but move on
NU will accept the said-to-be impending forfeiture of one of its wins
Nazareth School of National University is in danger of forfeiting its season-opening win over University of the East.
Last November, the Bullpups crushed the Junior Warriors, 107-69, but according to sources, allegedly fielded in an ineligible player.
With that, sources said that sometime within the week, the league office will release a memo overturning the decision of that game.
Sources opted not to disclose the name of the player in question, but official statistics reveal that Jayson Puray’s first and only game in the season was the one against UE. There, he had eight points and three rebounds in 13 minutes.
Since then, he has not seen action.
Reaching out to ABS-CBN Sports, NU head coach Goldwyn Monteverde confirmed that Puray is the said-to-be ineligible player. “Ang nangyari dun is we already have all the documents, pero late nabigay ng school,” he said.
Monteverde said that he and team management had all of Puray’s papers sorted out, but unfortunately, the school fell short of meeting the deadline for submitting them to the UAAP.
The mentor also made it clear that nothing is out of order with Puray’s papers. “Maayos naman ang lahat sa bata. Kawawa nga dahil first and last playing year niya dapat,” he said.
With that, the Bullpups are already bracing for a forfeiture that will drop their record to 5-2 – tying them with University of Sto. Tomas for the second spot. As Monteverde put it, “Wala nang magagawa. Looking forward na lang kami ngayon.”
The silver lining in all of this, in Monteverde’s eyes, is that they had a quick solution to the problem. “Ang maganda lang dito is yung nalaman din namin agad na na-late nga ang pagbigay ng documents kaya ‘di na namin siya ginamit after first game,” he said.
NU, and the rest of the UAAP Juniors field, will be back in action on Saturday at the Filoil Flying V Centre.
Follow this writer on Twitter, @riegogogo.