Nick Diaz: 'I invested everything in my fight life'

Milan OrdoƱez on Sep 15, 2015 02:44 PM
Nick Diaz: 'I invested everything in my fight life'
Photo credit: Zuffa LLC via Getty Images/UFC.com

On Monday (Tuesday, PHT), the Nevada Athletic Commission decided to impose a five-year suspension on former UFC welterweight title contender Nick Diaz.

This, after the 32-year old fighter tested positive for marijuana metabolites during his post-fight drugtest at UFC 183 when he fought Anderson Silva. 

A 14-year veteran of mixed martial arts, Diaz is now a part of the old school breed of fighters who continue to compete in a young man’s game. And the recent verdict by the Commission evidently shaves off more years from his rapidly-shortening fighting career. 

But for the Stockton, California native, it is about practically having his life taken away from him.

"I'm the only one who's invested in a fight life. That's why none of these other guys can ever say sh*t,” Diaz said in a rare tell-all interview with MMAFighting.com. “They're too worried about what their families and their wives and the people around them will think, so they're too scared to speak up. That's why I invested everything in my fight life. That's why I come off the way I do and always have.”

“Every other fighter has a life on the side. I've never had another job. I didn't graduate eighth grade. I could have, but I got into too many fights in middle school.”

Diaz also went on to relay a harrowing experience he had as a younger man 15 years ago, when his then girlfriend committed suicide. Unbeknownst to many, she has been his inspiration to drive himself to further success.

“I would run seven miles and back to her grave just to promise her I would make it as a fighter like she knew and had told me she knew and was proud of me.

“So this sport and this commission have done everything to stop me from being in the position that I belong,” he continued. “That's the only reason why I haven't stayed in that position and come off as the fighter and person that I know I am and can be. They suspended me for a third time. For five f*cking years for something that makes the whole world a better place.”

Having a livelihood taken away is one thing, but for Nick Diaz, the heaviest blow so far is not being able to be there for his younger brother Nate, who will be fighting in December.

“But in the end, I'm just upset I can't be there for my brother right now since he's gonna be fighting soon. It's my bad he even got into this sport and he gets his face kicked in and they don't even pay him.

“I got us in this, and if I don't make any money, I don't have any way to get us out."

Read the full transcript here.

--

Follow this writer on Twitter: @Mr_Ordonez

Latest News